Sunday, May 4, 2014

Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Released May 6, 2014


Before Sloane, Emily didn't go to parties, talk to guys, or do anything crazy. Sloane yanked Emily out of her shell. But just before what could have been an epic summer, Sloane disappeared, leaving Emily with a list of thirteen bizarre tasks. Apple Picking at Night - no problem. Dance until Dawn - okay. Kiss a Stranger? Huh! What?

Checking off the tasks on Sloan's list would mean a lot of first for Emily, but if it leads her to Sloane, it's worth it, right?

My thoughts

Though Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is currently sitting on my shelf, Since You've Been Gone is the first Morgan Matson book I've read. 

This is the perfect summer read and easily one of my top five favorite books this year. 

1. The characters are SO relatable - I'm worried Morgan Matson stalked my best friend and I and then wrote a story based on us! In this case, I'm Emily - the more hesitant and reserved one. Since I related so exactly with Emily, it was difficult for me to not feel like I was her as I read. When she was annoyed, I was annoyed. When she was lost and confused, I was lost and confused — you get it. 

2. I loved the flashbacks! At first, Sloane's list of tasks seemed completely bizarre (in a good/fun way), but they make a bit more sense when Emily shows us her memories of Sloane. Plus, Sloane is such a fun character! The first flashback is the absolute best!

3. The playlists were a nice touch, but there were only a few songs/artists I recognized. After the first couple of lists, I got a little bored reading through them. If you like books with playlists, this you will likely love this feature and if you don't like playlists, it's not a big deal — just skip them. 

4. Though it's barely 50 degrees outside, Since You've Been Gone brought me a taste of summer! I'm officially ready for July. After reading the first 300 pages or so, I was inspired to go on a tank-top-and-sun-glasses-shopping-spree! 

5. This is a page turner! With the exception of the playlists, I was never bored. Spending the summer with Emily was a blast, even when things didn't work out exactly as planned. Trust me, you're going to want to dedicate a few big chunks of time to read Since You've Been Gone (otherwise you may forget about reality and miss school or work)! 

6. I love how I was inspired by this book! Emily learns that she can't let her fear hold her back. This is a great lesson for me and a lot of people, I imagine. I don't think I'll be kissing any strangers or skinning dipping, but I want to experience life more fully. Also, I need to run or hop on the elliptical or something. Emily's a runner (not exactly the type of runner who loves to run, but she's committed nevertheless). 

Final thoughts

I absolutely loved Since You've Been Gone. It didn't end exactly how I wanted, but it was good, satisfying. I love contemporary YA and this was one of the best I've read.


Have you read Since You've Been Gone yet? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment