Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Amateurs Wait, Experts Write



I'm sure we can all say we're guilty of sitting and waiting for inspiration--I know I am. As much as I love to write, it's also a lot of work. Lounging around until I feel like writing or until something sparks my attention is so much easier than getting up and writing something. There is a reason that each individual sits and waits for inspiration. I don't know what your problem is, but I know mine. I'm a perfectionist. Sometimes the idea of starting something (without inspiration) scares me. What if it's a huge mess or embarrassingly lame. I don't like to fail--I don't know who does.

This ties into the doubt that I posted about a few days ago. My need to be the best and the brightest holds me back. I know that I should be comfortable writing anything at anytime, but I'm not. I'm still learning to be confident in my writing. I and all of us writers need to be confident enough in ourselves to realize that mistakes don't equate to failure. As a perfectionists, if I doubt my ability to do something well, I tend to shy away from trying at all. This is a mindset that I've been slowly letting go of over the past year and a half. Though I've left some of my perfectionists ways behind me, it can be a struggle to move forward.

I don't want to be the amateur that sits and waits for inspiration. I want to be the expert who gets up and goes to work. I think most writers can agree with that. I still want to be the best and the brightest, but I and other writers out there with this mentality have to be willing to try and risk failing horrendously before we can achieve success. 

How do you find inspiration? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment