Monday, September 23, 2013

642 Things to Write About: Live at IKEA




"642 Things to Write About: You have been evicted from your home, but rather than live on the street you go to IKEA. At night you hide in the bathroom until the janitor leaves. Write about your life."

I like to move around a lot. I'm never content in the same house with the same boring decor. I'd move to a new apartment every week if I could, but it turns out that's not in the budget. In fact, staying in the same place isn't in the budget either. My landlord posted an eviction notice on my door today. I didn't care. I was bored of that place anyway. I should've been furious or terrified, but as I sat on my cappuccino colored love seat going through the IKEA catalog, a brilliant idea struck.

I shot up, ran to my closet, and threw some essentials into a blue duffle bag. When I finished packing, I grabbed my things and headed towards the door. Overwhelmed with excitement, I didn't bother to glance back at my apartment. Instead, I rushed downstairs and hailed a taxi, "The nearest IKEA, please."

With that, the driver cut off a green mini-van as he merged onto the busy road. When we finally arrived, I paid the driver and set out to find a new apartment. I stashed my bag in a bathroom and rode the escalator to the second floor. I took a few laps around the store before I picked a quaint room with white furniture and purple decor. With only fifteen minutes until closing, I made my way back to the downstairs bathroom to hide until the janitor left for the night. 

When the coast was clear, I made it back to my brand new apartment. As I laid in my bed, I wept because I knew my life-long dream had come true. I could move as often as I wanted. 


Reference (because plagiarizing isn't cool)
The San Francisco Writers' Grotto. (2011). 642 things to write about. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment